By Lavona Grow, Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice in the National Capital Region
I hope you saw the powerful message from my friend and fellow Commit2Respond leader Irene Keim on Tuesday. If so, you know that one of the major actions of Climate Justice Month is reclaiming our democracy. As the chair of Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice in the National Capital Region (UUSJ), I’m helping to organize UU involvement in Democracy Spring and Democracy Awakening—will you join me?
UUSJ is teaming up with more than 200 organizations from a diverse array of movements, and hundreds of thousands of people are coming together to demand a democracy that works for all of us. Please join UUs and other people of faith from around the country in coming to DC for teach-ins, protest, advocacy, and direct action. It all starts this Saturday with a kick-off rally in Philadelphia for a march to DC, and culminates with a day of action on April 18. There are lots of ways to be involved and take action—whether or not you can make it to DC.
- Sign up for Democracy Spring using this link set up especially for Unitarian Universalists.
- Sign up for Democracy Awakening by using this registration form set up especially for UUs as well. You can sign up to be a local volunteer as well. There will be opportunities for phone banking and more.
Schedule of Events
- April 2, 10am: Democracy Spring kick-off rally in Philadelphia.
- April 2-11: March from the Liberty Bell on Independence Mall in Philadelphia to Washington, DC. Check out the route and the stops along the way where support is needed.
- April 11: Marchers arrive in DC and direct action sit-ins begin that include risk of arrest through April 16. Over 2,000 people nationwide have already signed up to risk arrest. Non-violent direct action and civil disobedience training will be provided to all who participate.
- April 16: All Souls Unitarian Church, Washington, DC is hosting the Democracy Awakening Teach-In which will include workshops, direct action training, and more.
- April 17, 12:30pm: Massive rally in front of the Capitol, followed by a march around Congress and a multi-faith service and rally at Union Station. UUs will gather at 12:30pm at 3rd Street NW in front of the Capitol with Standing on the Side of Love banners and shirts.
- April 18: Congress of Conscience Day of Action, a day of advocacy, lobbying, and optional non-violent direct action.
Get on the Bus
- There are buses heading to Democracy Awakening from 18 different states! Find a bus near you.
Get or Provide Home Hospitality
- UUSJ is coordinating home hospitality. Email email@example.com or call 202-600-9132 for more information.
Join a Local Event
- Can’t come to Washington? Find a Democracy Spring regional organizing hub near you—there are over 60 hubs throughout the entire United States! Reach out and get involved.
Thank you for your commitment!
Chair, Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice in the National Capital Region