Over the last few months, Unitarian Universalists have been witnessing for climate justice from Paris to the Pacific Northwest to Washington, DC. Now people of faith and conscience have a chance to collectively take the momentum for climate justice to the next level, with the second Climate Justice Month!
From World Water Day (March 22) to Earth Day (April 22), we will build resistance to climate change and add our moral voices to the movement for climate justice, taking action in our families, communities, and congregations or faith groups.
How We Will Take Action
- Every week of Climate Justice Month Commit2Respond will showcase a featured resource for inspiration, a featured resource for education, and a featured action.
- In Week 1 we will act to advance the rights of frontlines communities by advocating for water rights. In Week 2 we will join the interfaith campaign to shift to a low carbon future and model for world leaders the strong action required from us all. And in Week 4 we will march, teach-in, and advocate for reclaiming our democracy from the likes of Big Oil and the Koch brothers, growing the movement for justice.
- On or around Earth Day, we will hold worship services, Earth fairs, advocacy days, and much more, working with community organizations and fellow religious groups to grow the climate justice movement.
What To Do Now
RSVP for Climate Justice Month to receive extra inspiration and resources by email throughout the month.
Spread the word! Mobilize your congregation, faith group, secular group, family, or other groups you are a part of to take collective action together during Climate Justice Month (get mobilization resources).
- Get on the map: If you are part of a congregation or faith group, do you have an Earth Day service or other event planned? Register your event with Unitarian Universalist Ministry for the Earth to get your congregation on the map, publicize your event, and win a $50 gift certificate to inSpirit bookstore!
More Ways to Participate
- Check out the worship resources from Climate Justice Month 2015, organized according to element and theme: water/rejoicing, fire/reckoning, air/reconnecting, and earth/committing.
- Download the full packet (PDF) of daily messages, practices, and actions from Climate Justice Month 2015, designed to move participants through four stages on the way to making new commitments to climate justice.
- Be a part of spiritual community for climate justice by sharing your own climate justice journey, resources, stories, and actions on the Commit2Respond share forum or on social media using the hashtag #commit2respond.
Thank you for all that you do to create a better world. Thank you for committing to respond to climate change!
Your fellow Commit2Respond leaders